Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Larry David Would Agree

A spectre is haunting my social life-the spectre of the two-day birthday celebration. This is where a person has a birthday during the week and wants a celebration on their birthday and then a bigger celebration on the weekend. Maybe a dinner on the weekday with some clubbing/barring on the weekend. This double birthday madness is only acceptable if for one of the events, the attendees do not have to spend any money.

Anything more than that is simply absurd. I just do not get why it is necessary to have two separate celebrations. Sure its nice to do something on the day itself, but can people really not wait for the weekend. Furthermore, I resent that I have to celebrate a birthday twice. I shouldn't have to say Happy Birthday or sing Happy Birthday more than once.

In an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David attends Ben Stiller's birthday party. Larry complains that Ben's birthday was two weeks ago and that it was too late to be throwing a birthday party. Larry proposed a window of two to three days to celebrate the day. I am proposing to modifications to this rule:

1. A week window
2. You only get to celebrate your birthday once.

I think Mr. David himself would agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home