Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Great Moments in Nepali History: Episode VII

Nepali Want a Quacker?

One night, while in engaging in an otherwise inane discussion with two of his "co-students", a request was made of him.

"Please, oh wise Nepali, tell us a tale of magnificent feats and unparalleled heroism."

The request both suprised and delighted the Nepali. So in a clear, sonorous voice, he began his tale:

"It was a beatiful day in Nepal and my driver and I were out for a drive near the family resort with me behind the wheel. We were driving through a small village when we came across a duck crossing. I stopped at the duck crossing and patiently waited for the ducks to cross. After they finished, I proceeded on my way.

However, I had made a grave error. My passenger informed me that I had not waited long enough and had accidentally run over a duck. I briefly grieved for passing of the duck.

However, there were bigger problems at hand. If I were to drive back through the village, the upset peasants would surely throw stones at my fine automobile. Thinking quickly, I had the driver call my father. My father, upon hearing of the threat to his car, dispatched some people to quell the rage of the peasants by giving some rupees.

After that, I was able to make a safe passage home."

The Nepali concluded his story and his audience of two had tears coming down their faces, for it was the Greatest Tale Ever Told.

Moral of the Story: Money can't buy happiness, but it certainly can buy off peasants.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Mary-Cha said...

i must post because the duck story is my absolute favorite nepali story ever! i could listen to it over and over

 

Post a Comment

<< Home