Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Nadir In Writing


Boy, I am ever angry after reading Sebastian Mallaby's latest so-called "opinion piece," "A Nadir of U.S. Power". He argues that US power it as its lowest point since Reagan took office in 1981.
But has there been a worse moment for American power since Ronald Reagan celebrated morning in America almost a quarter of a century ago? I can't think of one.

So many ways to criticize this, so little time.

First, let's examine the man himself. Just look at him, Sir Nerdlington. So pretentious. Just look at that knowing half-smile on his lips that just screams, "I know I'm better than you." Just makes you want to punch him the face and then spit in his eye.

Second, the title, "A Nadir in US Power." Anytime I have to look up a word in a op-ed title I know I am in trouble. Nadir, according to the dictionary, means the low point. But when I looked up the etymology of the word, I discovered something quite disturbing:

nadir
c.1391, in astronomical sense, from M.L. nadir, from Arabic nazir "opposite to," in nazir as-samt, lit. "opposite of the zenith," from nazir "opposite" + as-samt "zenith" (see zenith). Transf. sense of "lowest point (of anything)" is first recorded 1793.


The word comes from Arabic. Talk about sympathizing with enemy--using words that are derived from their language. I'll bet he uses a base-10 number system as well. Might as well change his name to Sebastian Mallaby-al-Husssein.

Thirdly I can think of a number of examples where US power was in worse condition.
1. When Bill Clinton had sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky.
2. When Bill Clinton proposed "Hilarycare."
3. When Bill Clinton bombed Kosovo.
4. When Bill Clinton let Osama Bin Laden live.
5. When Bill Clinton shut down the Federal Government.
6. When Bill Clinton got elected.
7. When Bill Clinton got reelected.

And the list goes on and on and on.

Anyways, Mallaby, you are so wrong it's not even funny. It is morning in America, and in a week morning will come even earlier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home