Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Miscellania

Today I thought of the phrase, "Spite is the fuel of genius."

I don't know how true this is. Why do I say fuel? Fuel is not a transformative substance but only something to get something started. Although there are other fuels for genius as well I think, e.g. football, anger, love, boredom. "Spite is a fuel of genius" might be a better saying. Thoughts?

Anyways, I also watched all 8 episodes of 30 Rock online today and got paid to do it. It was all right. Tracy Morgan was surprisingly tolerable and the show actually has some edge. I suggest episode 8, "The Break-Up" for its inappropriate skewering of Condoleeza Rice.

Speaking of TV, I was fortunate enought to view "My Boys" on TBS this week. It is set in Chicago and consistently makes references to the northern suburbs, or North Shore, where I grew up. That's cool but the references make no sense whatsoever. They claimed there is a great sushi restaurant in Skokie, that for some reason it's uncool to live in Glenview, and that Northbrook has some racy hotel where slick guys take girls to party. I am sorry, but the closest thing that Northbrook has to "racy" the Dick's sporting goods just because its name is Dick's. Bizarre.

Many blogs have things a device called an Open Thread where commentators can talk about whatever they want. If I ever started a *popular* blog, all my open threads would be O"Pun" Threads. I am determined to make this happen one day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

For the record, whenever I think of your blog, John, I think "Almost Famous" but then I stop myself and remember that it's "Almost Clever". This morning I didn't stop myself and went to http://almostfamous.blogspot.com. At first I thought you had jokingly made pink and kittens the theme. Then I realized my error. Slurp slurp slurp (that's the best I can do on that JC van Damme noise).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home