Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Monday, December 11, 2006

The Economics of Laundry

Over the weekend, I became engaged in a debate with my *significant* other, about how to properly handle my laundry. She wants me to fold, iron, organize and put away my laundry. I would prefer to use the laundry basket method, in that I just leave the clothes in the basket and iron them when neccessary.

She did not see the logic in my ways because we have different utility functions when it comes to laundry. She values the time she saves when it comes to picking out clothes to start the day more than the hour or two on a Saturday that it takes to organize the laundry. I, needless to say, value the Saturday hour more than the time it will take to gather my clothes for the day from the unorganized laundry basket.

She makes the argument that her way is better, when in truth, her way is better for her while my way is better for me. Like buying a video game system, her method is the PS3 while mine is the Xbox 360. They are each good in their own ways, just different priorites for different people.

Freedom to choose is what defines capitalism and by impinging my right to choose, my other behaved was being quite the communist.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Her way sounds ominously efficient, and therefore ominously communist. In some ways she's right, that it's nice to just have your shit good to go at the right time. However, I also know your lifestyle (though I'm not referring to your sexual preference or choice of prophylactic), and just tossing them in the laundry basket after it's been cleaned seems fine. Especially since you don't need to wear button down shirts to work. As a side note, the last two times I did laundry I just dropped it unceremoniously on my floor. Hopefully Eddie (the dog) didn't pee on it, because at this point I have folded all of it and put it away, or worn it.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger albatross said...

I was thinking that devoting time in order to keep the room neat and orderly seeming in appearance is awfully fascist as well.

Like Raineer Wolfcastle in his epic role as McBain, I feel that I am under attack from Commie-Nazis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home