Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Marx was Merely Sleep-Deprived

Every moring when I am awakened by the beeping of my cellular phone, I think to myself there has to be something better.

Something better than the daily chore of going to work, doing whatever taks assigned to me, and heading back home for a couple of relaxation before heading to bed again. Is capitalism really the best way to divide resources? Can't I commit myself to a life of leisure while others work? Am I really doomed to the 9 to 5 existence? Is this all there is?

On the weekends, when I can get my full 8-10 hours of sleep, these questions never pop into my head. Therefore, I conclude that all bitching about the system stems from a lack of sleep. If the system desires to perpetuate itself, it should ensure that its citizens get more sleep. Therefore, I implore Congress to institute a 5 hour working day.

And seriously, a good 5 hours of work is all anybody really can possibly do in a day. I defy anyone to tell me that they really get more out of working 8 hours with a lunch break, and bitching to coworkers about their problems than with a solid 5 hours of work.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Tony said...

At one point in US history, the 6 hour workday was almost put into law as the standard. Kelloggs had it as its standard at factories up until the 80's. For more on the many benefits of the shorter workday, there is a great deal on the subject in the book Affluenza.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home