Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

More Melodrama

The Washington Post has another article up about George Allen. This one is about his wife. Pretty boring except for the beginning which dives into Allen's recently outed Jewish mother:
For three weeks, she didn't know. Then Susan Allen's phone buzzed one day last month as she was driving to the bank. Her subdued husband told her he had confirmed the rumor: His mother and grandparents were Jewish.

Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) had known the truth since late August, but he had kept his wife in the dark until the day after it came up at a Fairfax debate.

"He said, 'I have to let you know that my mom told me Pop-Pop was Jewish,' " Susan Allen recalled this week. Her husband was referring to his grandfather. She added that she doesn't blame her husband for keeping the matter secret from her.

"How could I be mad at him?" she said. "I could hear the pain in his voice, his worry about his mom. I couldn't be mad at George at all."

Susan Allen played a strong role in her husband's previous campaigns for U.S. Senate and Virginia governor, but they may not have prepared her for the current one. The revelation about the senator's Jewish heritage came amid serious questions about his racial sensitivity, spurred by his use of the word "macaca" and allegations that he had used racial epithets.


Seriously, she was Jewish. Who really cares? Does this change a whole person's identity? George Allen seems to think that it does. The "pain in his voice"? Are these people ashamed to be Jewish? I just don't get it. Not at all. And this is a secret to keep from your wife? What the hell? I'm befuddled. I don't voters will care if his mom's a Jew but George Allen seems to think that they will.

On the lighter side, once again, George Allen is quoted as saying "Pop-pop" in the paper. Hehehehehe. Gets me everytime. For you Arrested Development fans, I wonder if his grandmother is called "Gangee."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home