Almost Clever

Observations about life and stories that border on being funny and/or inspired.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Niche vs. Crevasse

One constantly hears about needing to find "one's niche." I would prefer to find my crevasse. For those not a verbally verbose as I(mmm...redundant alliteration), a niche is, literally, a shallow recess in a wall. A crevasse is a crack or fissure in a glacier.

Why a crevasse and not a niche? First, a niche is shallow and I don't want to be shallow. I want to be deep and impossible to patch up with caulk. Second, a wall can be easly broken by man, thus collapsing my shallow recess. A crevasse, however, only deepens with time and a when a glacier melts, the crevasse gets larger. Lastly, a niche makes it sound like I'm just another brick in the wall, whereas being a crevasse is more like being a rock, an island.

Therefore, from now on, I am not searching for my niche. I am searching for my crevasse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home